Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Lab 1 Reflection - Expectations

Getting this blog started!

We began our lab teachings as if we were just beginning a career as a new teacher at a high school.  It was kind of cool to start out with this for two reasons. The first reason was because it made me realize that the time is near that I will have to be doing this on my own, in my own classroom.  The other reason that I really liked it was because it really made me think of what I want to do on my first day student teaching and teaching once I get hired at a school because I want to make a good impression right away.

The expectations component of this lesson was helpful because it allowed us to thing of how we wanted to run our classroom and what the consequences will be for infractions. This is something that could have caused problems at the beginning of the school year for a new teacher because it is something that could easily be overlooked.  By thinking them through and going over them the first day of class, the students will see you have the authority from the get go and help with that first impression.

The lessons went fairly well for being our first ones although we learned a lot about presenting.  With everyone fulfilling their duties of being a different type of student, it made it a little difficult to manage the classroom with so much going on.  I have had quite a bit of experience presenting before so I was fairly comfortable with it, or so I thought. But all of the students acting out through me off guard from what im used too. It is difficult to deliver a successful lesson with so much disruption going on.  It made me realize how important it is to have good expectations and receive respect from your students if you want to be an effective teacher.

With a lot more practice this semester, we will all get to where we need to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment